As some of you may know, cold water swimming has many benefits.
In reality, all swimming has its benefits on our physical and mental health; getting a full body work out in the pool is proven to help with joint and muscle health, however, outdoor cold water swimming in the cooler temperatures has even more benefits.
The popularity of outdoor swimming has risen in the most recent years. This could be because of Covid-19, as reported in this article last year.
Another reason suggested for the rise in SwimPond popularity is that Wim Hof has become more well known in the UK over the most recent years. I have seen him on TV programmes and listened to him on podcasts and was fascinated with his breathing technique and abilities.
Wim Hof is a Dutch extreme athlete known for withstanding freezing temperatures and his training and techniques. At 62 years of age, he’s still breaking world records and continually swimming in the cold, and I mean cold, water. Not every 62-year-old man can run a barefoot half marathon on ice and snow.
He can endure extreme temperatures. However, Hoff also claims that the techniques he uses to take the colder temperatures can boost your immune system and fight many diseases.
Take a look at our five examples of the health benefits of outdoor swimming:
- Outdoor Swimming has shown to improve and strengthen our immune system
- It is a fantastic way to exercise, and helps improve your physical health
- Exercise triggers the release of endorphins which increase your happiness
- It is a great way to improve stress and anxiety, by improving mental health – as endorphins are released
- It increases circulation around the body which can help improve your blood pressure and avoid heart problems
If you want to learn more about Wim Hof and his methods, why not take a look at his website?