Froglife is a national wildlife conservation charity concerned with the conservation of the UK’s amphibian and reptile species and their associated habitats. Froglife’s vision is a world in which reptiles and amphibian populations are flourishing as part of healthy ecosystems.
Froglife’s Mission Statement: “We strive to make practical differences with our education and conservation teams working on-the-ground to restore and create vital amphibian and reptile habitats. Together we are encouraging as many people as possible, from all walks of life, to get involved in wildlife conservation.”
Animals like frogs, newts, toads, lizards and snakes face many threats, including:
- Loss of habitat – Froglife are building and developing areas where the animals live, and breaking up their habitat with roads
- Pollution – particularly for amphibians who are very sensitive to changes in water quality, chemicals can be a big problem
- Disease – there are a couple of really worrying diseases effecting amphibians, you can find out more here
- Exploitation – with some amphibians and reptiles across the world used for food and other products, there is a concern that trades are not sustainable and can affect wild populations
- Persecution – humans tend to eliminate wild animals if they are perceived as pests or a threat to people, particularly snakes. This can also be a problem for non-venomous species, which can be confused for their more dangerous relatives.
Why we are working with FrogLife
Froglife’s work to conserve amphibians and reptiles in the UK is crucial and their work fits into a global need to protect animals like frogs, toads, newts, snakes and lizards. They aim to make sure that the species we have in the UK flourish and will continue to do so for future generations.
At Michael Wheat Pond and Garden Design, we understand that both amphibians and reptiles are suffering from global declines, meaning that many animals are threatened with extinction.
Throughout the creation of our ponds, we ensure that everything we create is eco-friendly, viable and that we recycle and reuse materials where possible. We research local wildlife and strive to create outdoor spaces that welcome wildlife. If you would like to find out more about Froglife click here, and if you would like to get in contact with Michael Wheat Pond and Garden Design email email@example.com or ring 0116 240 3735.